We have designed four separate lesson plans that focus on waste literacy with activities that explore our relationship with plastics, the plastic lifecycle, and impacts of plastic debris across aquatic ecosystems. All lessons are designed to inspire solutions towards plastic pollution.
- Plastic Cycle
- Watersheds & Their Relationship to Litter (coming soon)
- Impacts of Plastic on Ecosystems (coming soon)
- Solutions to Plastic Pollution (coming soon)
Understanding the plastic cycle (i.e., how plastic is made, how it is used, and where it goes when we throw it “away”) is important to better understand how we have reached unsustainable levels of plastic production and plastic pollution. This lesson will introduce students to what the true definition of “plastic” is, teach them about the plastic lifecycle, and introduce the concept of a circular economy.
- Instructor Guide (download here)
- Activity 1: The Diversity of Plastic (download here)
- Activity 2: A Closer Look at Plastic (download here)
- Activity 3: Match the Sustainable Alternative (download here)