We are committed to translating science beyond academia to increase scientific and environmental literacy. We engage with the public at community events or public spaces, we visit schools, we talk to the media, and we work with local, national and international stakeholders to increase waste literacy and facilitate the use of scientific evidence in the decision-making process. We have dubbed ourselves the ‘U of T Trash Team’.
Interested in joining our team or participating in our outreach events? Contact us. If you want to provide support for our initiatives via a charitable donation, please click here and provide support to the U of T Trash Team Fund.
Our Mission: 1) Connect people and increase literacy concerning material consumption and waste with fun, creative and practical actions. 2) Use education, public outreach and scientific research to deliver evidence-based solutions to decrease solid waste and promote a circular economy.
Our Vision: We envision a fun and engaged waste-literate community where citizens are actively working to protect people, wildlife and the planet through the intersection of science, policy, community engagement and innovation that promote zero-waste lifestyles.
Upcoming Events and Presentations:
- Sunday November 3: Don Mouth Naturalization Tour (Community Engagement – SETAC North America Annual Meeting). Register in advance here.
- Monday September 23 at 7 pm (Museum of Contemporary Art): PhD student Alice (Xia) Zhu presents as part of Shezad Dawood’s exhibition Leviathan. More info here: From the Bay Area to the Arctic: Shezad Dawood and Alice (Xia) Zhu
- Saturday September 21 at 10 am (Hart House Circle, St. George Campus): Join our inaugural Urban Litter Challenge, meeting on campus at Hart House Circle to clean the neighbourhood & protect our watershed.
- Thursday September 19 at 7 pm (Tranzac Club): Nerd Nite Toronto kicks off their 10th season during Science Literacy Week with a talk from our PhD student, Bonnie Hamilton.
- Tuesday, September 17 at 6 pm (Gerstein Library – Alice Moulton Room): Tiny Plastics: Big Problems panel discussion with students and researchers from the U of T Trash Team.
- June 8th and 9th, 2019: Rouge Valley Eco Valley Exploration event. Explore the Rouge Valley and stop by our plastics outreach table to learn from students about the impact of microplastics in our environment.
- May 5th, 2019 – Annual Cleanup the Don in collaboration with TRCA’s Paddle the Don. Our team cleaned at 5 locations along the river: Eglinton, ET Seton Park, Pottery Road, Riverdale Park, Corktown Commons.